Branded low fat yogurts also known as Greek yogurt can be expensive and may not deliver deliver 100% when it comes to quality. However, when you make it yourself, you can modify the recipe as and adjust the thickness, tartness, texture and fat- content per your needs. Also you can customize the flavors and sweetness.
Other than being an essential part of low-fat diets, Greek yogurt is also used in many recipes (Try our cinnamon porridge recipe).
In this recipe, you will learn the traditional method of preparing Greek Yogurt and its health benefits.
- A medium sized pan to heat the milk. You can use a heat resistant glass container if you are using a microwave.
- Kitchen thermometer
- Medium sized bowl
- Mesh strainer
- Plain fresh yogurt bought from super market
- Low-fat Milk
How to make Greek Yogurt?
- Fill your pan with milk and heat it to 185-200 degrees Fahrenheit and keep stirring the milk to prevent any skin formation. If you are using a microwave, pour the milk in glass container and heat it for around 17 minutes at 175- 180 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once the milk is heated, let it cool down to around 100-110 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Then, take 1/2 cup of this milk and 1/4 cup plain fresh yogurt (bought from supermarket) and mix them together giving a nice whisk. Then add this mixture to the rest of your milk and mix it thoroughly.
- Cover the entire mixture with a lid and let it rest for around 6-12 hours in a warm and moist place. You may also keep it inside the oven with light on and let the bacteria do the magic. The more it will rest, tangier will be the taste.
- After the resting process is done, take out your mixture. You will notice that the mixture is now thick.
- Take a mesh strainer and place a cheese cloth inside it for more refined straining. Now gently pour your mixture into your strainer and extract the thick yogurt.
- Place the extracted yogurt in a bowl and mix it well. Your Greek yogurt is now ready. As of now, it is plain but you may add a liquid flavoring of your choice. You can also use any liquid sweeteners and adjust the sweetness as per your need.
Tip: Keep 1/4th cup of your homemade yogurt aside to use it for preparing the next batch.
Health Benefits of Greek Yogurt
Rich in protein
Protein is an essential an vital nutrient for cell growth and helps in building muscle and repairing worn out tissues. With time, everyone needs protein to maintain their health, lack of protein has adverse effects on body growth and overall development. One can get protein from meat, but having Greek Yogurt instead in your meals, is a great way to fulfill the protein requirements of your body without consuming too much calories.
Keeps your digestive system healthy
Greek yogurt is loaded with probiotics, which are basically micro-organisms like yeast and bacteria. These micro-organisms are also living inside our intestines and help in food digestion. Probiotics are very important to keep our immune system safe. They are also responsible for proper functionality of our digestive system. Lack of probiotics can result in many gastro-intestinal issues, like irritable bowel syndrome and constipation.
Great source of Vitamin B-12
Vitamin B-12 plays an essential role in providing energy and maintaining your brain functionality. Greek yogurt is a natural alternative to many supplements available in the market for vitamin B-12. Vegetarians are often found to have a lack of vitamin B-12, as this nutrient is generally found in meats, therefore Greek yogurt is an great alternative for vegetarians to add vitamin B-12 in their diet.
Creates a sodium and potassium balance
Most of the savory meals, we usually eat have a high content of sodium. High amount of sodium can cause many major health problems like high blood pressure, strokes and even heart failure. Greek yogurt is low in sodium and high in potassium, therefore it helps in balancing the sodium and potassium ratio in our body.
Good post workout treat
Greek yogurt is a very healthy treat after a power packed workout. It is rich in amino acids, which are building blocks for muscle growth and essential elements for rejuvenating tired muscles and worn-out tissues.
Helpful in losing weight
Greek Yogurt contains a good amount of iodine, which is an important nutrient for proper thyroid functioning and healthy metabolism. Increased amount of iodine in one’s diet increase the thyroid activity, as well as metabolism, thus encouraging weight loss.
It also provides a ton of calcium to our body. Calcium is responsible for the performance of our cortisol hormone and also assists in limiting the fat production, thereby promoting weight loss.