Looking for a million bucks dish at a meager cost which is not only frugal but also full of protein, antioxidants, fiber, heart healthy fats, and other nutrients? Well then, your search ends here, presenting an excellent cuisine Egyptian egg salad!
- 2 large eggs
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp rapeseed or canola oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 400g can borlotti or fava beans, juice reserved
- 2 little gem lettuce cut into wedges
- 2 tomatoes cut into wedges
- sprinkling of dried chilli flakes and roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley, optional
- KCal: 260
- Fat: 12g
- Saturates: 2g
- Carbs: 17g
- Sugars: 7g
- Fibre: 10g
- Protein: 16g
- Salt: 0.3g
- It is a quick and easy to prepare recipe.
- It us rich in protein and helps in losing weight.
- The beans have a huge nutritional value as it has dietary fibre, it is low in fat but high in potassium, calcium, iron, vitamin B6 and magnesium.
- It is healthy for eye and bone and also boosts immunity.
- It'll help you get full with less amounts of calories thus helping in weight loss.
- Eggs are highly nutritious in every aspect. When added to a salad with the greens it'll amplify the nutritional value of the salad and make a complete balanced diet.
Recipe Info (Egyptian Egg Salad)
- Serves: 4
- Preparation Time:10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 5 minutes
Method of preparation
- Boil the eggs in a pan full of water for 8 minutes. Drain the boiling water and cool them down using tap water, after that peal their shell off and cut them into halves. In the meantime, mix 1 tbsp lemon juice with 3 tbsp water and tahini to make a dressing.
- Shallow fry onion and garlic for 5 mins to soften them. Add 1tbsp ground cumin and ½ tbsp cumin seeds, stir briefly, add the beans and lightly (mash some of them as you heat them), add some of the juice from the can, it’ll give you a nice creamy consistency but keep the whole beans, too. Taste and add lemon juice and seasoning according to your taste.
- Put some lettuce in a plate and spoon the beans on it, after this add the eggs and tomatoes, with the tahini dressing, chilli and parsley (if using).
Rich in protien
Egyptian Egg salad is made up of fava beans and eggs, both good sources of protein. Protein is good for building muscles and repairing worn out tissues. Protein is important for manufacturing of hormones and enzymes as well as maintaining fluid balance. If you are health conscious, this recipe is a bliss.
High nutritional value
Fava beans have 11% water, 58% carbohydrates, 26% protein, and 2% fat. In a 100 gram they provide many vital nutrients in high content. Folate and dietary minerals, such as manganese, phosphorus, and iron have considerable content. It is low in fat but high in potassium, calcium, iron, vitamin B6 and magnesium.
Reduced risk to high blood pressure and bone loss
Fava beans are rich in dietary minerals such as manganese, copper, potassium and magnesium. Manganese and copper are two most important nutrients that prevent bone loss. Many studies proved that the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) Diet, an eating pattern, involved meals rich in potassium and magnesium that helps reducing risk to high blood pressure
Good for fat loss
Egyptian Egg Salad is a low calorie meal (260 KCal). This is a perfect meal to get you full with less calorie intake, thus resulting in weight loss. This entire meal is highly nutritious and contains a very small amount of fat content (12g). Boiled eggs are highly nutritious in every aspect. When added to a salad with the greens it’ll amplify the nutritional value of the salad and make a complete balanced diet.
Test-tube studies have shown that Fava beans are rich in compounds essential for boosting antioxidant activity in our body cells. Since, antioxidants are responsible for enhancing the immune function, eating fava beans might boost immunity and help body fight against various diseases.
Lowering Cholesterol level
Fava beans are rich in soluble fibers that helps in lowering the cholesterol level. Soluble fibers promote healthy bowel movements and softens your stool. These fibers also help in lowering blood cholesterol levels.