Looking for healthy lunch ideas? Try our chicken caesar salad recipe, easy to make and perfect for a healthy low calorie meal. Easy homemade chicken caesar salad recipe with crunchy croutons and a creamy garlic dressing, you can prepare in 20 minutes and enjoy at home or at lunch with your friends.
- 1 medium ciabatta loaf (or 4 thick slices crusty white bread)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 large cos or romaine lettuce, leaves separated
For the dressing
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 anchovies from a tin
- medium block of Grana Padano or parmesan cheese for grating and shaving (you won’t use it all)
- 5 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- KCal: 309
- Fat: 17g
- Saturates: 3.8g
- Carbs: 8.2g
- Sugars: 1.8g
- Fibre: 2.1g
- Protein: 29g
- Salt: 0.48g
- Good source of protein
- High immunity booster
- Helps in lowering the LDL cholesterol and blood pressure
Recipe Info (chicken caesar salad)
- Serves: 4
- Preparation Time:10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Method of preparation
- Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas . Dice 1 medium ciabatta into big, ragged croutons or, if you prefer, use a bread knife. Place them in a large baking sheet or tray and smear it with 2 tbsp olive oil.
- Season it with a little salt (sea salt crystals are best for this). Bake for 8-10 mins, cook the croutons evenly by turning them a few times.
- Smear 2 chicken breasts (preferably skinless and boneless) with 1 tbsp olive oil and season it. Preheat a pan over medium flame for 1min until it’s hot (it should not be smoking). Place the chicken gently on the pan (it will sizzle if it’s hot enough) and let it rest for 4 mins.
- Cook it evenly by turning it over and cooking it for 4 more minutes. To check if it’s cooked or not, poke the tip of a sharp knife into the thickest part; it should not be pink and there should be no signs of juices.
- Bash 1 garlic clove (use the flat of a knife) and peel off the skin. Crush with. Mash 2 anchovies (can use a fork and a small bowl.)
- Grate a handful of parmesan cheese and mix with the anchovies and garlic. Add 5 tbsp mayonnaise and 1 tbsp white wine vinegar and mix it well (Season to taste). It should be the consistency of yogurt (you can use water for thinning it)
- Shave the cheese with a peeler. Tear off the leaves of a large cos or romaine lettuce and lay it down in a large bowl. Cut the chicken into bite-size strips and spread the half of it over the leaves, along with the half of the croutons.
- Add most of the dressing and toss it (use your fingers). Disperse the rest of the chicken and croutons, then drizzle the remaining dressing over it. Garnish it with the parmesan on top and serve your chicken caesar salad.
Chicken in Caesar salad is a good protein source, which is needed by the body for building tissue and muscles. Protein is important for manufacturing of hormones and enzymes as well as maintaining fluid balance. Furthermore, white meat does not contain saturated fat if not fried.
Other ingredients like croutons, parmesan cheese, lemon and anchovies which are included in making this chicken caesar salad also provide various health benefits. Like, Anchovies are rich in fatty acids, which is good for heart, Lemon is a great source of vitamin C which helps not only in synthesis of collagen, but also strengthen the immunity system.
Lowers LDL cholesterol
The garlic not only provides a great aroma to your chicken caesar salad, but also helps in lowering the LDL cholesterol and blood pressure and also possess some beneficial antiseptic effects.
If not monitored properly, as the quantity in cafes and restaurants are more than recommended, you can end up taking some extra calories and fats.